Sherry Grouper Chowder
A comfort food that is a staple in our home, this dish is best with Grouper but can be made with Mutton Snapper as well.
- 3 lbs. fish
- 6 potatoes
- 8 oz bacon
- 1/4 C Sherry wine
- 2 Tbsp. basil
- salt and pepper
- 6 C. milk
- 3 stalks of celery
- 2 yellow onions
- 3 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp flour
- Dice potatoes into 1/2 inch cubes and boil until soft. Drain and place in large main pot that the chowder will ultimately go in. Do not put on heat until the end when we add the milk.
- Cook the bacon until crispy. Cut into small pieces and add to main pot.
- Dice the celery and onions and saute them in a new saucepan with a small amount of olive oil and the sherry wine. Season with salt and pepper while cooking.
- Cut the fish into chunks and cook in the pan you just had the vegetables in, again adding a small amount of olive oil. Season with the red pepper flakes, salt, and black pepper while cooking. Add to main pot with all the juices left from the cooking.
- Pour the milk into the main pot and stir. Add the basil.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter, add the flour and stir while cooking until thick and bubbly. Add a small amount of milk and mix until creamy.
- Put the main pot on medium heat and once the chowder is warm, slowly add the rue and cook and stir until thickened.
- Serve with a crusty loaf of bread.
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 296
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 7g
Monounsaturated Fat 11g
Total Carbohydrates 59g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.